The Shroud of Turin is a long linen cloth made of out flax and measures 14 feet long and 3.5 feet wide.
It bears the faint image of a bearded, crucified man with bloodstains that match the wounds of crucifixion suffered by Jesus of Nazareth as recorded in all four gospel narratives.
It has been in Turin, Italy since 1578, over 400 years. Prior to that it was in France for another 200 years beginning in 1356.
It has been preserved and revered for centuries as the actual burial shroud that wrapped Jesus as recorded in the bible.
It was owned from 1450 to 1982 by the royal Savoy family until the former King of Italy, Humberto II passed away and willed it to the Catholic Church.
The Shroud has been displayed for numerous public exhibitions over the past 650 years. While in Italy, the Catholic Church acted as custodian of the cloth even though it was officially owned by the Savoys.